Flagship Beers – Available all-year round.
The #1 best selling local craft beer in Buffalo. Medium bodied Vienna-style amber beer with soft, nutty malt flavors and just enough German hops for balance. “Chain” goes great with chicken, pizza, grilled vegetables… pretty much everything now that we think about it.
- Available year round on draft, in bottles, and cans all across WNY.
- ALC/VOL: 5.2% – IBUs: 20
- MALTS: Pilsner, Vienna, Caramel
- HOPS: Magnum, Tettnang
Medium bodied American India Pale Ale using the best UK Pale malt and citrusy, aromatic US hops. The bold hop aromas, flavors, and bitterness are supported/balanced by a solid malt backbone.
- Available year round on draft and in bottles
- ALC/VOL: 6.4% – IBUs: 50
- MALTS: UK Pale, NY Craft Malt Erie Canal Pale
- HOPS: Centennial, Cascade, Galaxy, Amarillo
Light bodied golden beer in the Munich Helles Lager style. Very balanced flavor with soft malt & wheat aromas, and a crisp noble hop finish from 40 days of cold lagering. It’s a great “first beer of the day” that matches well with lighter tasting foods, milder cheeses or great all on its own.
- Available year round on draft and in bottles.
- ALC/VOL: 4.8% – IBUs: 17
- MALTS: Pilsner, Caramel, Wheat
- HOPS: Tettnang
Seasonals and Special Offerings
We enjoy brewing all sorts of different styles of beer at FBBC. One-off’s and smaller batches are how we have some fun around the brewery. Some of them are only available on draft, some in bottles and some in both. These styles are not always available and some disappear very quickly but they’re all delicious. We use Facebook and other social media to communicate which of them are currently available. So, give us a follow for the latest at FBBC. Cheers!
'Aviator Red' Irish-style Ale
5.5% ABV – Buffalo’s favorite Red Ale, and one of the first beers we started out brewing. Ruby red & malty with medium body and spicy hop signature to balance. Drinkable on its own, but full flavored enough to pair with your favorite foods like BBQ, beef on weck, roast pork, and anything spicy. Available in bottles and draft.
- Available year round on draft; and in bottles Feb-Apr.
- ALC/VOL: 5.3% – IBU’s: 28
- MALTS: UK Pale, Caramel, Munich, Chocolate, Special Aromatic, NY Craft Malt Erie Canal Pale
- HOPS: Nugget, UK East Kent Goldings
Brewed as an homage to Polish tradition in Western NY, and will appear in stores prior to Dyngus Day (the day after Easter). Polonia Pils pours a straw yellow with rich, white foam and an herbal spiciness from the Saaz hops. A soft malt note complements the spicy, floral hop characters of the Hallertau & Saaz hops. Lagered 40 days for a crisp finish.
- Available on draft and in bottles Feb-Apr.
- ALC/VOL: 4.8%
- MALTS: Pilsner & Vienna
- HOPS: Saaz & Hallertau
Buffalo Kölsch 716
Kölsch is a style of German beer native to Cologne (Köln) and is one of the most drinkable beer styles on the planet. We use Pilsner malt and a bit of malted wheat for a light body & soft malt flavor while German hops balance the sweetness, flavor and bouquet. The first beer we ever made, under the name Dawn Patrol Gold.
- Available year round on draft, Apr-Aug in bottles & cans
- ALC/VOL: 5.6% – IBUs: 15
- MALTS: Pilsner, Wheat, Caramel
- HOPS: Perle, Tettnang, Hallertau
Bisonfest is brewed with care and tradition so you can enjoy the Gemutlichkeit (a German phrase meaning: ‘a feeling of contentedness, comfort and relaxation’) whenever you drink the beer. We brew it with a variety of German malts to give the beer its rich malty flavor and orange-amber color. The spice of the hops balances this beer perfectly. Available towards the beginning of autumn.
- Available on draft and in bottles.
- ALC/VOL: 6.3% – IBUs: 18
- MALTS: Pilsner, Munich, Vienna
- HOPS: Magnum, Tettnang, Hallertau
This is a classic German-style dunkel bock. It has rich, toasty malt flavor with hints of soft chocolate. The German-style hop varieties are subdued to allow the malts to star in this satisfying beer. It got us through some of the worst winters in recent memory, it can get you through anything.
- Available on draft and in bottles Oct-Jan
- ALC/VOL: 6.5% – IBUs: 21
- MALTS: Pilsner, Munich Dark, Vienna, Caramel
- HOPS: Perle, Tettnang, Hallertau
A smooth oatmeal stout; part of our brewing tradition for the better part of our history. Rich & satisfying enough to stand up to bolder tasting fare, yet light bodied enough to have more than a few.
- Available on draft and in bottles Sep-Dec
- ALC/VOL: 6.2% – IBUs: 20
- MALTS: UK Pale, Caramel, Roasted Barley, Flaked Barley, Oats
- HOPS: UK East Kent Goldings
MacBison Pale Scotch Ale
Rich, malty ale in the Scottish style. MacBison has been our official holiday beer since the beginning, and saw it’s first release in bottles in fall of 2017! It has a decent amount of alcoholic strength and malt sweetness, but not too heavy a body and not too dark a color.
- Available on draft and in bottles late fall through winter.
- ALC/VOL: 7.8% – IBUs: 30
- MALTS: UK Pale & Crystal
- HOPS: Nugget, UK East Kent Goldings
'Juice Caboose' New England-style IPA
A trainload of hops go into making this extremely hoppy, but very mildly bitter India Pale Ale brewed with US & Aussie hops to give the illusion of tropical & citrus juice. The majority of the hops do not get boiled, therefore less bitterness is extracted and more delicate fruit-like aromas and flavors are imparted to the brew.
- Available on draft and in bottles throughout the year; stay tuned for the next release…
- ALC/VOL: 7.5% – IBUs : 45
- MALTS: Pale, Pilsner, Caramel, Wheat, Oats
- HOPS: Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Galaxy, Ekuanot, Dr Rudi
Spot Coffee Stout
Brewed in collaboration with Spot Coffee’s roastery and original location in downtown Buffalo. Freshly roasted beans selected by Spot’s roastmaster go into a strong Milk Stout to make this one of our finest and most flavorful beers. Look for a bourbon-barrel-aged version in 2018!
- Available on draft and in bottles Feb-April
- ALC/VOL: 8.0% – IBUs: 35
- MALTS: UK Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, Oats
- HOPS: Nugget, UK East Kent Goldings
- French-roasted single-origin coffee beans from Spot Roastery
- *CONTAINS LACTOSE SUGAR* making this our only non-vegan offering
Low Gear Session IPA
All American hops go into this easy-drinking yet flavorful India Pale Ale. Whether it’s after a long ride or a day of working in the sun, there are times you just want something refreshing but don’t want to sacrifice flavor. For those times, we like to to kick it into Low Gear!
- Available on draft & in bottles during spring & summer.
- ALC/VOL: 4.2% – IBUs : 52
- MALTS: UK Pale, Pilsner, Special Aromatic, Caramel, Wheat, Flaked Oats
- HOPS: Chinook, Cascade, Amarillo
Based on the recipe for our summer seasonal, Buffalo Kölsch 716, this light-bodied German-style ale featured pureed blackberries and blueberries for a fruit-forward nose and a touch of pink color. The finish is dry, refreshing, with a bit of tartness rather than sweetness coming from the fruit.
- Available on draft and in bottles during the summer months.
- ALC/VOL: 4.5% – IBUs: 18
- MALTS: Pilsner, Wheat
- HOPS: Perle, Hallertau
HERC C-130 Barleywine-style Ale
Big, bold, unfiltered Barleywine brewed to honor our military friends. The strongest and most cellar-able of our beers; patience will reward the drinker with more vinous and caramel notes over time. Batch 2016 is available for sale at the brewery in both 4pk bottles and 5 Gallon kegs.
- Available on draft and in bottles from Veteran’s Day (November 11th)-until it runs out.
- ALC/VOL: 9.5%
- MALTS: UK Pale, Aromatic
- HOPS: Warrior, Nugget, Cascade
‘One-Off’s’ & Specials – Brewery Only
Our brewers enjoy experimenting with many different flavors and styles that can vary greatly from our normal brews. They’re only available at the brewery in the tasting room but if you’re lucky you might be able to snag yourself a growler. And if you’re really lucky you might find one of them hooked up on the handpull! Some, unfortunately will only pop up every few years.
- Erie County Fair Beer (recipe changes yearly) – Following an annual homebrew competition at Erie County Fairgrounds, the winning recipe is picked to be brewed at Flying Bison alongside its creator to be served at that year’s Erie County Fair! Past winners include an American Pale Ale (John Crossett & Brian Milleville), Hefe-Rye-zen (Mark Zambron), and Imperial Porter (Sean Wall).
- Red’s Brown Ale – Brewed in loving tribute to our co-founder Larry “Red” Mrozek, who passed away in fall of 1997. This recipe for this session dark ale comes courtesy of our Hop Jack (with fine tuning by Red himself) and features the bold roast of Brown malt balanced with the classic pine & citrus aromas of Cascade & Centennial hops.
- Brindle Porter – Brewed once a year on draft only as a tribute to both Porter (our brewer Ryan’s late greyhound), and to English dark beers in general. Its flavor and color fall somewhere between a London Porter and a roasty Brown Ale, hence the name Brindle (a black & brown striped color pattern appearing often on the coats of greyhound dogs).
- Barrel Roll Maibock – Maibock is a Bavarian-style strong lager, traditionally brewed to be the bridge between heavy/dark winter beers and the lighter wheat ales of summer. Released annually on the week of Tax Day (2nd week of April) on draft only. Much like our Scotch Ale, this smooth beer can pack quite the punch, so be careful!
- Porch Stoop Session India Pale Lager – A beer meant to be consumed on your porch or stoop on a warm day. We release this draft-only brew as the weather starts turning warm and the cold-weather gear gets packed away until fall. Citra & Dr Rudi hops provide citrus & tropical flavors to this refreshing lagered brew.
- Lemondrop Lager – A refreshing German-style lager spiced with citrus peels & hopped/dry-hopped with Lemondrop hops for an extra light citrus touch. Look for this beer shortly after Polonia Pils.
- ‘Patrona Imperatrice’ Barrel-aged Wild Ale – A golden ale fermented & aged over 1 year in oak barrels with a variety of Belgian wild yeast strains for a tart complex finish. As we gather and ‘infect’ more and more oak barrels with these yeast strains, we’ll be experimenting with different fermentation & blending methods over time…much like Belgian lambic production (minus the open & spontaneous fermentation).
- ‘Super Freak” IPA w/ Brettanomyces – Citrusy US hops, wild yeast funk, and citrus peel spice in perfect triple harmony! This beer gets its name from the Godfather of the Buffalo funk scene, Rick James. We ferment this ale with wild Brettanomyces yeast strains to add a touch of tartness and funky aroma. The goal is to unite lovers of hops, sour ales, and fruit with a supremely balanced beer.
- Beer on Weck Gose – A take on a a central-German golden sour ale traditionally brewed with coriander seed and salt. We replace the coriander with caraway seed; a nod to the Kimmelweck roll used in Buffalo cusine’s famous ‘Beef on Weck’ sandwich.
- Red’s Heaven Imperial Red Ale – An imperial (strong ABV) version of our Aviator Irish Red Ale. Brewed every 5 years or so, the last time being in 2015 for our 15th anniversary party.
- Bisonator Doppelbock – Based on a 2008 World Beer Cup medal-winning recipe created by our founder Tim & our friend Dave Schlosser (currently of Naked Dove Brewing). Deep malt flavors are the star of this sweet & sticky German strong lager, last brewed in 2015.
- Two Sisters’ Wee Heavy Ale – A brew with roots in homebrewing and it’s name recalling a Scottish leg of one year’s Flying Bison European Beer Tour. Strong & dark Scotch Ale brewed in a small batch by our crew members Tim H, Dave C, and Mark A. 2017 also saw the release of a batch aged 9 mos. in a Buffalo Distilling ‘One Foot Cock’ bourbon-style whiskey barrel!
- Helldiver Oatmeal Pale Ale – A medium-bodied British pale ale featuring the spice & tea-like aromas of Bramling Cross hops and the addition of oatmeal for a creamy body.
- Barnstormer Pale Ale – One of our original beers, an American Pale Ale featuring Cascade hops. Most recently brewed 3 years ago with all NY-grown hops & barley (which was, at the time, the largest batch of all-NY-ingredient craft beer made).
- Down By the River Belgian-style IPA – Clove & spice and a dry fizziness from Belgian Ardennes yeast complemented the citrusy flavors and light hop bitterness of this IPA. Based on a Buffalo Beer Week collaboration with Community Beer Works of the same name. A great beer to both convert hop-haters AND satisfy hop lovers…and also to unite Neil Young and Chris Farley fans.
- Black IPA – A dark ale featuring dark roasted malts, a solid dose of US hops, and a dry finish.
The following beers have been enjoyed over different periods of time, but have been taken off the roster and are no longer available. That doesn’t mean, however, that they can’t pull a Michael Jordan (or more recently, Anquan Boldin) and magically un-retire themselves at any point in time.
- Bird of Prey India Pale Ale
- Warbird Double India Pale Ale
- Best Bitter
- Skagit Tan
- Buffalo Lager
- Brother Manto’s Ballpark Belgian Amber
- Bisontennial Double India Pale Ale
- Walk on the Mild Side
- Simcoe Session Wheat
- Newport Pleasure
- 40 Shilling Scottish Ale (Groundskeeper Willie)